Youtube Video – Using Moodle for our Future Builders by Brett McCroary
Here is very useful video from MoodleMoot Australia presented by Brett McCroary from TAFE Illawarra, on the use of Moodle for future builders.
The video explains about the usage of blended learning method instead of the traditional hands on training model to increase student numbers, allow greater flexibility and to improve completion rates.
Here is the direct link to the video and below is the embedded video.
The results so far have been encouraging. Enrolments were 300% higher this year. Assessment tasks are being submitted on time by 80% of students. The quality of students’ work has improved. Students are creating videos for some of their tasks, e.g. Workplace Inspections of a construction site, which they enjoy making and the videos provide authentic evidence for assessment.
- Students who can’t attend classes (due to their workload or location) are able to participate, resulting in increased in enrolments for the section.
- Delivering one subject at a time ensures an easier to manage workload for students and teachers.
- Clear deadlines for assignments increases completions and keeps students on track.
Video assignment submissions provide authentic assessment evidence and the activities are interesting for students.
- Students’ digital literacy skills have significantly improved.
- Self-marking quizzes reduce marking time for teachers and give students instant feedback.
- Difficult to teach students who are both online and face to face during the same class.
- Flexibility for students demands a greater workload for teachers.
- A significant amount of time is required to setup the Moodle resources at the beginning. We are working one or two units ahead of the students. This will be a lot easier next time we run the course.