In the month of February 2015, Moodle.org has conducted a survey among the developers who have submitted their plugins to the Moodle plugins database in the year 2014. The survey was mainly focused on the initial review and approval process for the plugins including some detailed questions like:
- what is their primary profession / occupation;
- whether the plugin was developed in their free time or as a part of their job; and
- whether they received some financial reward for developing the plugin.
The results of these three questions are displayed in following charts:
- Most respondents (roughly 75 %) are professional software developers who write plugins as a part of their job.
- Almost half of the respondents made the plugin for free without receiving financial reward. More than a half were paid or at least partially compensated for developing the plugin.