Moodle has taken another giant leap in making online learning more accessible by presenting “Moodle Desktop” – to experience whole Moodle mobile app functionality on your Windows, Mac or Linux-based computers. We had already reported about the Moodle Desktop app in this article few days ago.
Moodle Desktop app is designed by Moodle Mobile team and like Moodle Mobile app the Moodle desktop app will also be updated every two months. Moodle desktop app is compatible with following operating systems:
- Windows for desktop: Windows 7 and later (AMR not supported)
- Windows for tablets: Windows 10 with “Windows Anniversary Update
The Desktop App will soon be released for:
- iOS: Minimum macOS version supported is macOS 10.9
- Linux: Ubuntu 12.04, Fedora 21 and Debian 8 and later
Advantages of Moodle Desktop app:
The Moodle desktop app offers a lot of functionality like:
- Accessing the course content and activities offline.
- Engaging in course activities like attempting quiz, edit Wiki pages, post in forum discussions and many more
- Easily submit assignments by capturing and uploading images, audio, video and other files from your tablet/desktop
- Instant notifications of messages, assignment submissions, calendar events, and forum posts.
- Tracking your progress in your course by checking out the grades, learning plans and completion progress.
- View upcoming deadlines
- Networking with other course participants
On the occasion of release of new Desktop app, Moodle Mobile app team leader – Juan Leyva commented:
Release of the Moodle Desktop is another step that Moodle is taking to make online learning more accessible – for students, educators and other users – who are utilizing various operating systems and devices.
Feedback has shown that Moodle users in the K-12, higher education and workplace sectors would like the option of accessing their courses through desktops, laptops or tablets, which are the devices often provided by their institutions or organisations.
You can download the Moodle desktop app for Windows devices from Windows store from –
When you are testing out the new desktop app? What are your views about this new initiative by Moodle HQ team for making online learning more accessible? Share your views with us in the comments section below.