Dr. Martin Dougiamas, CEO and founder of the Moodle project, speaks about the upcoming features in Moodle 3.2 during a live session on Periscope yesterday. The session was organized by Moodle HQ team to answer the queries of Moodle users directly by Dr. Martin. You can watch the video recording of the session here.
New features of Moodle 3.2
As mentioned by Martin, the most important and notable features of Moodle 3.2 are:
- The focus is now emphasized to improve the usability and interface.
- Moodle will have a new look out of the box through a brand new Bootstrap 4 based theme – Boost. Another benefit of boost theme is that it supports direct customization through Presets. The preset file contains a list of SCSS instructions which is used to generate the new stylesheets for the theme. You can download a sample preset file through – https://moodle.net/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=595
- The settings for a particular page like assignment, profile or any other are accessible through a single gear icon on the top right site making it a uniform interface all around.
- Messaging and notifications improvements with a complete overhaul of the messaging and notifications interface.
- User Tours are coming in Moodle core.
- Pluggable video players and by default Moodle ships with Video.JS player which is the most accessible player framework.
- Graphs in moodle are completely rebuild using the new Chart.JS – the open source HTML 5 based chart library.
- LTI Improvements.
Moodle HQ team is working hard to make the Moodle better in terms of usability and user interface. I really appreciate the steps taken by the Moodle HQ team in improving upon these untouched areas which will eventually make Moodle best in its class.
What is your view about the new improvements coming in Moodle 3.2? Which features makes you feel more excited about the new version? Do share your thoughts in the comments section below.