Check out these Moodle Vagrant boxes to create your own local development environment #Moodledev
Recently one of the Moodle community member Heitor Silva started a new forum thread by sharing his work for “MoodleBox – A Vagrant local development environment” along with comparison to other existing vagrant boxes and asking the community members to share their feedback.
As far as I can understand about the Vagrant boxes is that by using them you get a virtual machine with most of the installation and config done for you running Moodle code that is also directly available on your own host machine so that you can use your usual dev tools.
The other vagrant boxes created by other Moodle community members includes:
- Moodle Hat – https://github.com/mackensen/moodle-hat
- PuppetLamp – https://github.com/rlorenzo/puppet-lamp
- And the most recent inclusion by Tomasz Muras based on MOOSH – http://moosh-online.com/dev/
If you are well verse with all these technical utilities and have deployed them for Moodle development in your projects then you can share your thoughts and opinion in this forum thread – https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=334895#p1349299
I don’t know why but I would be more interested in testing the MOOSH vagrant box out of these vagrant boxes in near future. It will give you the following moosh development environment:
- Ubuntu 16.04 with PHP 7
- Apache configured to run as user vagrant (so no problems with the file permissions)
- Latest Moodle 3.1 installed
- composer and moosh installed from source
Have you ever used any of the vagrant box setup for Moodle? Do share your experience with us in the comments section below and help me to also learn about these technical utilities.